That’s a fairly shitty title right there, but to be honest I’ve been thinking about this post all day and that was the best I could come up with. Every New Year I come up with a list of resolutions that are forgotten within the month but this year I thought maybe the best thing to do was to set some goals for the year, things both big and small that I want to have achieved by the end of 2013. Some of these are fairly obvious, but others are a bit more random. The plan is to have this as a second page on the blog (see Goal No 1) and cross them off as they’re achieved.
So ladies and gents, in no particular order, I present my goals for 2013!
- Get my head around WordPress properly. Ideally I’d have my blog layed out a bit more logically, with pages for different categories etc
- Linked to that I want to start actually commenting on the blogs I read. I do most of my blog reading through Google reader so I tend to read a bunch of blogs without ever commenting on any of them, I feel like the weird silent kid in school who nobody ever talked to. Not cool.
- Finish my PhD. Duh.
- Get a real job. Ditto
- Get a Leinster season ticket. Two of my closest friends already have them, and realistically if I’m going to be in Dublin for the next year it makes sense. Plus great way to see the other two.
- Go to a music festival with Electric. We actually met (very briefly) at Electric Picnic but we’ve never done the overnight festival tent thing. Yet.
- Cook a new recipe once a week (or maybe more reasonably, cook 52 new recipes this year). Only way to keep track of that will be to blog about it I guess…
- Run the Women’s Mini Marathon in June. Which means I’ll be doing the couch to 10k programme before then!
- Acquire a savings account, with savings.
- Read 40 books. I read a LOT (once I get going), so I’ve no idea if this is a reasonable goal or not but I guess we’ll find out.
- See both sets of friends (college and school) at least once a month. Lately I’ve almost become a recluse when it comes to meeting up with friends, and it’s really not doing me any good.
- Email a friend abroad once a week (not including the big bro’s).
- Learn to use my sewing machine.
- Use sewing machine to alter an item of clothing (anything at all!).
- Blog regularly.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Either get my ears pierced again, or do something a bit more dramatic with my hair colour wise (I know, I’m such a rebel!)
- Visit both big brothers.
- Go on a holiday with Electric (visits to aforementioned brothers don’t count).
- Save for a fancy pants camera.
- Possibly acquire fancy pants camera.
- Do my Christmas shopping before the December payday.
- Start learning French.
- Arrange the Hobbit music for my clarinet students. Random I know but I promised it for next years Christmas concert.
- Take more pictures.
I think that covers a fair few angles, and if I can achieve even half of these I’ll be thrilled with myself. Most importantly though, my main goal for this year is to take it a bit easier on myself. I spent a lot of 2012 feeling as if I was a failure, when in reality I’m far from it. This year, I’m going to make a conscious decision to stop once a day and think about everything I’ve achieved so far, and all the things I’ll achieve in the future.
2013 you say? Bring it on!